“Clean Cooking Solutions” is one of 11 Action Areas within the Sustainable Energy for All initiative and comprises major activities under the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves. Promoting the adoption of clean cooking solutions supports Sustainable Energy for All’s objective for universal energy access.
High-Impact Opportunity: Universal Adoption of Clean Cooking Solutions
In brief: The Universal Adoption of Clean Cooking Solutions HIO will support commitments made under the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves, as well as other aligned efforts, and promote the adoption of clean cooking solutions for those who lack safe and efficient cookstoves, fuels, and related equipment.
Impact: Universal adoption of clean cooking solutions has enormous potential to help households in the developing world shift from the use of inefficient, unhealthy, and unsafe open fires and rudimentary cookstoves to the use of advanced cookstoves, clean fuels, and related clean cooking equipment. The adoption of clean cooking solutions will:
- Address the needs of the almost 3 billion people worldwide who rely on the use of harmful solid fuels such as biomass, coal, and animal waste to fuel their daily cooking needs1;
- Reduce exposure to household air pollution (acrid smoke, short-lived climate pollutants, and fine particulates) from the use of open fires and traditional cookstoves that leads to four million premature deaths a year and hundreds of millions of related illnesses and burns; and
- Empower women, create income opportunities for the poor, and reduce environmental impacts, like deforestation, land degradation, and climate change from the use of solid fuels for cooking.
Strategy: Hundreds of global experts from a diverse range of disciplines and organizations have identified the creation of a thriving global market for clean cookstoves and fuels as the most viable way to achieve universal adoption of clean cooking solutions, and offered a three-pronged strategy for building this market:
- Enhance Demand: Enhance demand by understanding and motivating consumers, developing improved cookstoves and fuels, providing consumers with options to finance/purchase clean cookstoves and fuels, and fostering innovative distribution models to reach remote consumers;
- Strengthen Supply: Strengthen the supply of clean cooking solutions by mobilizing sector financing and investment, facilitating access to carbon finance, enhancing market intelligence, addressing trade barriers and national policies that impede local markets for clean cooking solutions, and building inclusive value-chains that tap stakeholders including women;
- Foster an Enabling Environment: Foster an enabling environment by engaging national and local stakeholders, building the evidence base for the benefits of clean cookstoves and fuels, championing the sector, promoting international standards and rigorous testing protocols, and enhancing monitoring and evaluation.
Sustainable Energy for All’s Value Add:
- Assist in raising the prominence of the household air pollution issue within national policy and priority planning processes;
- Leverage pooled resources and direct them towards concrete interventions that deliver measureable health, environmental, gender, and economic benefits;
- Integrate clean cooking issue into other energy access activities within Sustainable Energy for All, such as the Practitioner’s Network, national energy plans, and donor priorities.
Highlights of High Impact Initiatives (HIIs):
The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves
The Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves is an alliance of more than 650 donors, governments, manufacturers, NGOs, women’s groups, universities, and UN agencies. The Alliance acts as a delivery mechanism for the energy access work of Sustainable Energy for All and serves to coordinate global efforts to spur adoption of advanced cookstoves, clean fuels, and related equipment.
The Alliance aims to create a thriving global market for clean and efficient cooking solutions in 100 million households by 2020. It will also gather the critical resources needed to address primary gaps in awareness, investment, research, standards, technology, manufacturing, and adoption.
Under the HIO, the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves will execute against its ten-year Strategic Business Plan, including implementation of a range of activities at the global level, such as:
- Develop and implement globally-recognized standards for clean cookstoves;
- Support clean cookstove and fuel entrepreneurs and other sector-enabling activities in key countries;
- Quantify the links between improved cooking solutions and their effects on health and safety, environment, livelihoods, and women’s empowerment;
- Mobilize investors (impact, social, etc.) and resources to support scale and adoption of clean cookstoves and fuels in priority markets;
- Pilot a variety of distribution and consumer finance models in priority countries; and
- Establish a robust monitoring and evaluation system for the sector.
In collaboration with hundreds of global partners and stakeholders, the Alliance is also working to facilitate strategic planning in six Phase I countries: Bangladesh, China, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, and Uganda. Country Action Platforms (CAPs) will help to identify intervention options for national programs, detail stakeholder commitments toward meeting goals in each country, and highlight specific areas for engagement.
Global LPG Partnership
The Global LPG Partnership is working to accelerate the transition to liquid petroleum gas (LPG) for cooking for 50 million people by 2018. The partnership engages the public and private sectors in integrated policy, investment and consumer activities and develops multi-country programs to scale access to LPG for cooking in urban and peri-urban areas.
World LP Gas Association
The World LP Gas Association has launched “Cooking for Life”, a long-term program to demonstrate the health benefits of switching communities from biomass and other traditional fuels to LPG for cooking. It also encourages decision-makers to recognize the need to ensure that LPG markets develop in a safe, managed way.
Leslie Cordes, Senior Director Strategic Partnerships, Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves, email@example.com or +1-202-862-6307.