The mission of the SEforALL Africa Hub is to coordinate and facilitate the implementation of the SEforALL initiative on the African continent. The Hub will promote African ownership, inclusiveness and a comprehensive approach to the Initiative’s implementation.
- The design, set-up and the operations of the SEforALL Africa Hub follows the following key principles:
- African Institution led nature of the Hub, e.g. Hub will support national agendas and ownership of the African institutions and governments, and a broad and inclusive partnership approach of all relevant stakeholders on the continent
- A light structure building on existing structures. The Hub will complement (not duplicate) existing implementing, coordinating and information sharing structures on energy at the continental, regional and global levels
- Strong results-orientation of the Hub: the Hub will facilitate concrete activities on the ground
- The SEforALL Africa Hub is part of the SEforALL global implementation structure and arrangements, a high degree of consistency will therefore be needed
- Support a balanced approach in the design, integration and implementation of centralized and decentralized/bottom up solutions appropriate to meet SEforALL 2030 targets.
Oversight and Operations committee
The Oversight and Operations Committee (OOC) provides strategic guidance for the operations of the Hub Secretariat. The OOC comprises one representative of the African Union Commission (AUC), the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency (NPCA), the African Development Bank (AfDB), the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) and of the Regional Economic Communities (selected on a rotating basis). For the initial 2 years of operation, ECOWAS will represent the RECs. Additional parties (notably from the private sector and civil society) may be invited as needed. Regular OOC meetings will be held twice a year with the possibility of additional ad-hoc meetings should the need arise.
The Hub Secretariat, responsible for carrying out the activities of the Hub and its work program is hosted by the AfDB at its headquarters.